Wednesday, January 6, 2021


January 6th--Theophany/Epiphany

 Madonna and Child

Image Courtesy: Angelsdoor
Artist: Penny @ Angelsdoor (2010)
Wall Relief
As I briefly mentioned in yesterday's posting, Theophany/Epiphany commemorates varying events to various Christians. Personally, I think God is pleased with all of our attempts to remember his glorious Life. Because I go into the celebration of Theophany/Epiphany in detail in my manuscript, "St. Nicholas and Christmas," I won't say too much here. Rather I want to leave you with the beautiful words of a lovely book I picked up in front of the St. Dionysus Cathedral of Athens on the Eve of the 2004 Olympic Games. The "Church Liturgical Year" by Elani Ganouri (Apostoliki Diakonia of the Church of Greece, Athens 1998, p 65) is a little gem of a book and explains quite deep things of God in a clear and precise way. As you read the quote you will understand why I chose to highlight the above beautiful, and recently completed relief, by Penny at Angelsdoor of the Madonna and Child (Please visit Penny's beautiful site. You will be amazed and so pleased by her work). It is good to remember Christ's Nativity again today no matter if we celebrate His baptism today; or that of the Magi arriving to worship Him; or Christmas Eve if we follow the Julian Calendar; or even the Nativity itself as does the Armenian Church! Honestly, in my humble opinion, all events in the Life of the Lord must be remembered - all year long. It is for our edification and joy to remember...
Now for Elani Ganouri's beautiful words:
"Theophany or Epiphany, is the manifestation, the showing forth of God in His fullness! It is the manifestation of the Holy Trinity. The time of Bethlehem and Nazareth is drawing to a close. After about thirty years of hidden life, Jesus Christ is soon to be revealed to the world. He is coming to the river of Jordan to be baptized. There the Father will manifest His Son... Not only does the Church associate herself with the joy of the angels who will be present at the Baptism of Christ, as they were present at the Nativity, but the Church invites men, too, to draw near the Jordan, and tells them what it is that they will receive there."
Icon of Theophany
Image courtesy: Spiritual Paintings
The Baptism of Our Lord
Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church
Ben Lomond, California, USA

The Adoration of the Magi
Image Courtesy: Ocean Bridge
Pieter Aertsen (1560)
Rijkswmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands 
Middle Panel of a Triptych

No comments:

  SAVING MAIN STREET:  The Store Next Door Hi! You will find this questionnaire at the end of SAVING MAIN STREET:  The Store Next Door.  But...